top of page
NCNW Dayton Section History

On February 19, 1957, twenty-five ladies met at the home of Mrs. P. Booker Harris, 843 Montclair Avenue.  Mrs. Jean Caper, Honorable Councilwomen and Attorney-at-law of Cleveland, Ohio and a member of the Board of NCNW, and Mrs. Arie P. Taylor, Assistant Regional Director of Ohio Council of NCNW were present.  

 

Mrs. Capers invited the ladies to become members of the NCNW.  The ladies graciously accepted.  A motion of acceptance of Mrs. Capers’ offer was made by Mrs. Ella Lowry and seconded by Mrs. Genevieve Douglas and unanimously carried.   

 

NCNW, Dayton Section was born with hope that its charter members would hold and keep its purpose, aspirations, and accomplishments just as high as we stood over the city that day.  The Charter was issued on April 2, 1957.

 

PAST PRESIDENTS - DAYTON SECTION

 

1955 – 1959    ​Marianna Harris*

1960 – 1962    ​Miriam Grigsby*

1962 – 1965​    Ella Lowry*

1965 – 1969​    Rosalie Davis*

1969 – 1972    ​Maudella P. Parham*

1972 – 1974​    Hazel Rowell*

1974 – 1978    ​Willie Belle Spear

1978 – 1980​    Frankie Lewis

1980 – 1983    ​Ida S. Taylor

1983 – 1985​    Fannie P. Moore

1985 – 1989​    Dora L. Garner

1989 – 1993​    Mary E. Taylor

1993 – 1995    ​Judge Adele M. Riley

1995 – 1999    ​Barbara T. Heard*

1999 – 2001​    Alice Young-Ditto

2001 – 2005​    Sondra Brereton Elmore

2005 – 2008    ​Priscilla Jones

2008 – 2012    ​Edna Dudley Baldwin

2012 – 2016 ​  Tonya Todd

2016 -  2020   Carol Prewitt

2020-               Dr. Carmella G. Daniels

bottom of page